Pronunciation: (di-klâr'), [key]
—v., -clared, -clar•ing.
1. to make known or state clearly, esp. in explicit or formal terms: to declare one's position in a controversy.
2. to announce officially; proclaim: to declare a state of emergency; to declare a winner.
3. to state emphatically: He declared that the allegation was a lie.
4. to manifest; reveal; show: Her attendance at the rally declared her political allegiance.
5. to make due statement of, esp. goods for duty or income for taxation.
6. to make (a dividend) payable.
7. Bridge.to bid (a trump suit or no-trump).
1. to make a declaration.
2. to proclaim oneself (usually fol. by for or against): He declared against the proposal.
3. Cricket.(of a team) to surrender a turn at bat in an innings before ten players are put out.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.