Pronunciation: (dens), [key]
—adj., dens•er, dens•est.
1. having the component parts closely compacted together; crowded or compact: a dense forest; dense population.
2. stupid; slow-witted; dull.
3. intense; extreme: dense ignorance.
4. relatively opaque; transmitting little light, as a photographic negative, optical glass, or color.
5. difficult to understand or follow because of being closely packed with ideas or complexities of style: a dense philosophical essay.
6. Math.of or pertaining to a subset of a topological space in which every neighborhood of every point in the space contains at least one point of the subset.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.