Pronunciation: (der'u-likt), [key]
1. left or deserted, as by the owner or guardian; abandoned: a derelict ship.
2. neglectful of duty; delinquent; negligent.
1. a person abandoned by society, esp. a person without a permanent home and means of support; vagrant; bum.
2. Naut.a vessel abandoned in open water by its crew without any hope or intention of returning.
3. personal property abandoned or thrown away by the owner.
4. one guilty of neglect of duty.
5. Law.land left dry by a change of the water line.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.