Pronunciation: (di-sent'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/descent.html on line 71 [key]
1. the act, process, or fact of descending.
2. a downward inclination or slope.
3. a passage or stairway leading down.
4. derivation from an ancestor; lineage; extraction.
5. any passing from higher to lower in degree or state; decline.
6. a sudden raid or hostile attack.
7. Law.transmission of real property by intestate succession.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.