Pronunciation: (dik-tā'shun), [key]
1. the act or manner of dictating for reproduction in writing.
2. the act or manner of transcribing words uttered by another.
3. words that are dictated or that are reproduced from dictation.
4. the playing or singing of music to be notated by a listener, esp. as a technique of training the ear.
5. music notated from dictation.
6. the act of commanding arbitrarily.
7. something commanded.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.