Pronunciation: (dru-gOOn'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/dragoon.html on line 77 [key]
1. (esp. formerly) a European cavalryman of a heavily armed troop.
2. a member of a military unit formerly composed of such cavalrymen, as in the British army.
3. (formerly) a mounted infantryman armed with a short musket.
1. to set dragoons or soldiers upon; persecute by armed force; oppress.
2. to force by oppressive measures; coerce: The authorities dragooned the peasants into leaving their farms.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.