Pronunciation: (i-fek'tiv), [key]
1. adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result: effective teaching methods; effective steps toward peace.
2. actually in operation or in force; functioning: The law becomes effective at midnight.
3. producing a deep or vivid impression; striking: an effective photograph.
4. prepared and available for service, esp. military service.
1. a member of the armed forces fit for duty or active service.
2. the effective total of a military force.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.