Pronunciation: (i-lik'sur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/elixir.html on line 73 [key]
1. Pharm.a sweetened, aromatic solution of alcohol and water containing, or used as a vehicle for, medicinal substances.
2. Also called elix'ir of life'. an alchemic preparation formerly believed to be capable of prolonging life.
3. an alchemic preparation formerly believed to be capable of transmuting base metals into gold.
4. the quintessence or absolute embodiment of anything.
5. a panacea; cure-all; sovereign remedy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.