Pronunciation: (i-mûr'junt), [key]
1. coming into view or notice; issuing.
2. emerging; rising from a liquid or other surrounding medium.
3. coming into existence, esp. with political independence: the emergent nations of Africa.
4. arising casually or unexpectedly.
5. calling for immediate action; urgent.
6. Evolution.displaying emergence.
Ecol.an aquatic plant having its stem, leaves, etc., extending above the surface of the water.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.