Pronunciation: (en-gājd'), [key]
1. busy or occupied; involved: deeply engaged in conversation.
2. pledged to be married; betrothed: an engaged couple.
3. under engagement; pledged: an engaged contractor.
4. entered into conflict with: desperately engaged armies.
b. (of wheels) in gear with each other.
6. Archit.(of a distinct member) built so as to be truly or seemingly attached in part to the structure before which it stands: an engaged column.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.