Pronunciation: (en-gāj'munt), [key]
1. the act of engaging or the state of being engaged.
2. an appointment or arrangement: a business engagement.
3. betrothal: They announced their engagement.
4. a pledge; an obligation or agreement: All his time seems to be taken up with social engagements.
5. employment, or a period or post of employment, esp. in the performing arts: Her engagement at the nightclub will last five weeks.
6. an encounter, conflict, or battle: We have had two very costly engagements with the enemy this week alone.
7. Mech.the act or state of interlocking.
8. engagements, Com.financial obligations.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.