Pronunciation: (i-kwiv'u-lunt or, for 5, ē"kwu-vā'lunt), [key]
1. equal in value, measure, force, effect, significance, etc.: His silence is equivalent to an admission of guilt.
2. corresponding in position, function, etc.: In some ways their prime minister is equivalent to our president.
3. Geom.having the same extent, as a triangle and a square of equal area.
4. Math.(of two sets) able to be placed in one-to-one correspondence.
5. Chem.having the same capacity to combine or react chemically.
something that is equivalent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.