Pronunciation: (i-rupt'), [key]
1. to burst forth: Molten lava erupted from the top of the volcano.
2. (of a volcano, geyser, etc.) to eject matter.
3. to break out of a pent-up state, usually in a sudden and violent manner: Words of anger erupted from her.
4. to break out in a skin rash: Hives erupted all over his face and hands.
5. (of teeth) to grow through surrounding hard and soft tissues and become visible in the mouth.
1. to release violently; burst forth with: She erupted angry words.
2. (of a volcano, geyser, etc.) to eject (matter).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.