Pronunciation: (eth'nik), [key]
1. pertaining to or characteristic of a people, esp. a group (eth'nic group') sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.
2. referring to the origin, classification, characteristics, etc., of such groups.
3. being a member of an ethnic group, esp. of a group that is a minority within a larger society: ethnic Chinese in San Francisco.
4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of members of such a group.
5. belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic traditions of a people or country: ethnic dances.
6. Obsolete.pagan; heathen.
a member of an ethnic group.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.