Pronunciation: (i-vā'zhun), [key]
1. an act or instance of escaping, avoiding, or shirking something: evasion of one's duty.
2. the avoiding of an argument, accusation, question, or the like, as by a subterfuge: The old political boss was notorious for his practice of evasion.
3. a means of evading; subterfuge; an excuse or trick to avoid or get around something: Her polite agreement was an evasion concealing what she really felt.
4. physical or mental escape.
5. an act or instance of violating the tax laws by failing or refusing to pay all or part of one's taxes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.