Pronunciation: (i-vent'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/event.html on line 73 [key]
1. something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, esp. one of some importance.
2. the outcome, issue, or result of anything: The venture had no successful event.
3. something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time.
4. Physics.in relativity, an occurrence that is sharply localized at a single point in space and instant of time. Cf. world point.
5. Sports.any of the contests in a program made up of one sport or of a number of sports: The broad jump event followed the pole vault.
6. in any event, regardless of what happens; in any case. Also,at all events.
7. in the event of, if there should be: In the event of rain, the party will be held indoors.
8. in the event that, if it should happen that; in case: In the event that I can't come back by seven, you can eat without me.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.