Pronunciation: (fär'&thslash;ur), [key]
—adv., compar. of far with farthest as superl.
1. at or to a greater distance: He went farther down the road.
2. at or to a more advanced point: They are going no farther in their studies.
3. at or to a greater degree or extent: The application of the law was extended farther.
—adj., compar. of far with farthest as superl.
1. more distant or remote than something or some place nearer: the farther side of the mountain.
2. extending or tending to a greater distance: He made a still farther trip.
3. Nonstandard.further (defs. 5, 6).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.