Pronunciation: (fi-ness'), [key]
—n., v., -nessed, -ness•ing.
1. extreme delicacy or subtlety in action, performance, skill, discrimination, taste, etc.
2. skill in handling a difficult or highly sensitive situation; adroit and artful management: exceptional diplomatic finesse.
3. a trick, artifice, or stratagem.
4. Bridge, Whist.an attempt to win a trick with a card while holding a higher card not in sequence with it, in the hope that the card or cards between will not be played.
1. to use finesse or artifice.
2. to make a finesse at cards.
1. to bring about by finesse or artifice.
2. to make a finesse with (a card).
3. to force the playing of (a card) by a finesse.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.