—adj., v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
1. covered with or having leaves.
2. like a leaf, as in shape.
3. Also,foliated. Archit.
a. ornamented with or composed of foils: foliate tracery.
b. ornamented with representations of foliage: a foliate capital.
4. Petrol., Mineral.foliated (def. 2).
1. to put forth leaves.
2. to split into thin leaflike layers or laminae.
1. to shape like a leaf or leaves.
2. to decorate with foils or foliage.
3. to form into thin sheets.
4. to spread over with a thin metallic backing.
5. Print.to number the folios or leaves, as distinguished from pages, of (a manuscript or book).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.