Pronunciation: (foot'print"), [key]
1. a mark left by the shod or unshod foot, as in earth or sand.
2. an impression of the sole of a person's foot, esp. one taken for purposes of identification.
3. Informal.the track of a tire, esp. on wet pavement.
4. the area affected by an increase in the level of sound or noise, as that generated by an airplane.
5. Telecommunications.the area of the earth's surface within which a communications satellite's signals can be received.
6. Aerospace.the area within which it is predicted that a spacecraft or its debris will land.
7. the surface space of a desk or tabletop occupied by a piece of equipment, esp. a microcomputer or related device.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.