Pronunciation: (fôr'ij, for'-), [key]
—n., v., -aged, -ag•ing.
1. food for horses or cattle; fodder; provender.
2. the seeking or obtaining of such food.
3. the act of searching for provisions of any kind.
4. a raid.
1. to wander or go in search of provisions.
2. to search about; seek; rummage; hunt: He went foraging in the attic for old mementos.
3. to make a raid.
1. to collect forage from; strip of supplies; plunder: to forage the countryside.
2. to supply with forage.
3. to obtain by foraging.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.