Pronunciation: (foul), [key]
—n., pl. fowls, (esp. collectively) fowl,
1. the domestic or barnyard hen or rooster; chicken. Cf. domestic fowl.
2. any of several other, usually gallinaceous, birds that are barnyard, domesticated, or wild, as the duck, turkey, or pheasant.
3. (in market and household use) a full-grown domestic fowl for food purposes, as distinguished from a chicken or young fowl.
4. the flesh or meat of a domestic fowl.
5. any bird (used chiefly in combination): waterfowl; wildfowl.
to hunt or take wildfowl.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.