Pronunciation: (frend), [key]
1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5. (cap.) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.
6. make friends with, to enter into friendly relations with; become a friend to.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.