Pronunciation: (fun"du-men'tl), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/fundamental.html on line 79 [key]
1. serving as, or being an essential part of, a foundation or basis; basic; underlying: fundamental principles; the fundamental structure.
2. of, pertaining to, or affecting the foundation or basis: a fundamental revision.
3. being an original or primary source: a fundamental idea.
4. Music.(of a chord) having its root as its lowest note.
1. a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system; essential part: to master the fundamentals of a trade.
2. Also called fun'damen'tal note', fun'damen'tal tone'. Music.
a. the root of a chord.
b. the generator of a series of harmonics.
3. Physics.the component of lowest frequency in a composite wave.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.