Pronunciation: (fûr), [key]
—n., adj., v., furred, fur•ring.
1. the fine, soft, thick, hairy coat of the skin of a mammal.
2. the skin of certain animals, as the sable, ermine, or beaver, covered with such a coat, used for lining, trimming, or making garments.
3. a garment made of fur.
4. any coating resembling or suggesting fur, as certain matter on the tongue.
5. Heraldry.any conventional representation of a fur, as ermine, vair, potent, or their variations.
6. make the fur fly,
a. to cause a scene or disturbance, esp. of a violent nature; make trouble: When the kids got mad they really made the fur fly.
b. to do things quickly: She always makes the fur fly when she types.
of or pertaining to fur, animal skins, dressed pelts, etc.: a fur coat; a fur trader.
1. to line, face, or trim, with fur, as a garment.
2. Building Trades.to apply furring to (a wall, ceiling, etc.).
3. to clothe (a person) with fur.
4. to coat with foul or deposited matter.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.