Pronunciation: (fus'chun), [key]
1. a stout fabric of cotton and flax.
2. a fabric of stout twilled cotton or of cotton and low-quality wool, with a short nap or pile.
3. inflated or turgid language in writing or speaking: Fustian can't disguise the author's meager plot.
1. made of fustian: a fustian coat; fustian bed linen.
2. pompous or bombastic, as language: fustian melodrama.
3. worthless; cheap: fustian knaves and dupes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.