Pronunciation: (ga&thslash;'ur-ing), [key]
1. an assembly or meeting.
2. an assemblage of people; group or crowd.
3. a collection, assemblage, or compilation of anything.
4. the act of a person or thing that gathers.
5. something that is gathered together.
6. a gather or a series of gathers in cloth.
7. an inflamed and suppurating swelling.
8. (in a flue, duct, or the like) a tapered section forming a transition between two sections, one of which has a greater area than the other.
9. Bookbinding.a section in a book, usually a sheet cut into several leaves.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.