Pronunciation: (get'u-wā"), [key]
1. a getting away or fleeing; an escape.
2. the start of a race: a fast getaway.
3. a place where one escapes for relaxation, vacation, etc., or a period of time for such recreation: a little seaside getaway; a two-week getaway in the Bahamas.
1. used as a means of escape or fleeing: a stolen getaway car.
2. used for occasional relaxation, retreat, or reclusion: a weekend getaway house.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.