Pronunciation: (gift), [key]
1. something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
2. the act of giving.
3. something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.
4. a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent: the gift of saying the right thing at the right time.
1. to present with as a gift; bestow gifts upon; endow with.
2. to present (someone) with a gift: just the thing to gift the newlyweds.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.