Pronunciation: (glōb), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/globe.html on line 77 [key]
—n., v., globed, glob•ing.
1. the planet Earth (usually prec. by the).
2. a planet or other celestial body.
3. a sphere on which is depicted a map of the earth (terrestrial globe) or of the heavens (celestial globe).
4. a spherical body; sphere.
5. anything more or less spherical, as a lampshade or a glass fishbowl.
6. a golden ball traditionally borne as an emblem of sovereignty; orb.
to form into a globe.
to take the form of a globe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.