Pronunciation: (good), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/good.html on line 71 [key]
—adj., bet•ter, best,
—n., interj., adv.
1. morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious: a good man.
2. satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree: a good teacher; good health.
3. of high quality; excellent.
4. right; proper; fit: It is good that you are here. His credentials are good.
5. well-behaved: a good child.
6. kind, beneficent, or friendly: to do a good deed.
7. honorable or worthy; in good standing: a good name.
8. educated and refined: She has a good background.
9. financially sound or safe: His credit is good.
10. genuine; not counterfeit: a good quarter.
11. sound or valid: good judgment; good reasons.
12. reliable; dependable; responsible: good advice.
13. healthful; beneficial: Fresh fruit is good for you.
14. in excellent condition; healthy: good teeth.
15. not spoiled or tainted; edible; palatable: The meat was still good after three months in the freezer.
16. favorable; propitious: good news.
17. cheerful; optimistic; amiable: in good spirits.
18. free of distress or pain; comfortable: to feel good after surgery.
19. agreeable; pleasant: Have a good time.
20. attractive; handsome: She has a good figure.
21. (of the complexion) smooth; free from blemish.
22. close or intimate; warm: She's a good friend of mine.
23. sufficient or ample: a good supply.
24. advantageous; satisfactory for the purpose: a good day for fishing.
25. competent or skillful; clever: a good manager; good at arithmetic.
26. skillfully or expertly done: a really good job; a good play.
27. conforming to rules of grammar, usage, etc.; correct: good English.
28. socially proper: good manners.
29. remaining available to one: Don't throw good money after bad.
30. comparatively new or of relatively fine quality: Don't play in the mud in your good clothes.
31. best or most dressy: He wore his good suit to the office today.
32. full: a good day's journey away.
33. fairly large or great: a good amount.
34. free from precipitation or cloudiness: good weather.
35. Med.(of a patient's condition) having stable and normal vital signs, being conscious and comfortable, and having excellent appetite, mobility, etc.
36. fertile; rich: good soil.
37. loyal: a good Democrat.
38. (of a return or service in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) landing within the limits of a court or section of a court.
39. Horse Racing.(of the surface of a track) drying after a rain so as to be still slightly sticky: This horse runs best on a good track.
40. (of meat, esp. beef) noting or pertaining to the specific grade below “choice,” containing more lean muscle and less edible fat than “prime” or “choice.”
41. favorably regarded (used as an epithet for a ship, town, etc.): the good ship Syrena.
42. as good as. See as 1 (def. 18).
43. good for,
a. certain to repay (money owed) because of integrity, financial stability, etc.
b. the equivalent in value of: Two thousand stamps are good for one coffeepot.
c. able to survive or continue functioning for (the length of time or the distance indicated): These tires are good for another 10,000 miles.
d. valid or in effect for (the length of time indicated): a license good for one year.
e. (used as an expression of approval): Good for you!
44. good full, Naut.(of a sail or sails) well filled, esp. when sailing close to the wind; clean full; rap full.
45. make good,
a. to make recompense for; repay.
b. to implement an agreement; fulfill.
c. to be successful.
d. to substantiate; verify.
e. to carry out; accomplish; execute: The convicts made good their getaway.
46. no good, without value or merit; worthless; contemptible: The check was no good.
1. profit or advantage; worth; benefit: What good will that do? We shall work for the common good.
2. excellence or merit; kindness: to do good.
3. moral righteousness; virtue: to be a power for good.
4. (esp. in the grading of U.S. beef) an official grade below that of “choice.”
a. possessions, esp. movable effects or personal property.
b. articles of trade; wares; merchandise: canned goods.
c. Informal.what has been promised or is expected: to deliver the goods.
d. Informal.the genuine article.
e. Informal.evidence of guilt, as stolen articles: to catch someone with the goods.
f. cloth or textile material: top-quality linen goods.
g. Chiefly Brit.merchandise sent by land, rather than by water or air.
6. come to no good, to end in failure or as a failure: Her jealous relatives said that she would come to no good.
7. for good, finally and permanently; forever: to leave the country for good. Also,for good and all.
8. the good,
a. the ideal of goodness or morality.
b. good things or persons collectively.
9. to the good,
a. generally advantageous: That's all to the good, but what do I get out of it?
b. richer in profit or gain: When he withdrew from the partnership, he was several thousand dollars to the good.
(used as an expression of approval or satisfaction): Good! Now we can all go home.
2. good and, Informal.very; completely; exceedingly: This soup is good and hot.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.