Pronunciation: (gos'up), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/gossip.html on line 75 [key]
—n., v., -siped or -sipped, -sip•ing or -sip•ping.
1. idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others: the endless gossip about Hollywood stars.
2. light, familiar talk or writing.
3. Also,gos'sip•er,gos'sip•per.a person given to tattling or idle talk.
4. Chiefly Brit. Dial.a godparent.
5. Archaic.a friend, esp. a woman.
to talk idly, esp. about the affairs of others; go about tattling.
1. Chiefly Brit. Dial.to stand godparent to.
2. Archaic.to repeat like a gossip.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.