Pronunciation: (haf'wā', häf'-), [key]
1. to half the distance; to midpoint: The rope reaches only halfway.
2. almost; nearly; just about: He halfway surrendered to their demands.
3. meet halfway, to compromise with; give in partially to: They didn't comply with all our demands, but met us halfway on the more important points.
1. midway, as between two places or points.
2. going to or covering only half or part of the full extent: halfway measures.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.