Pronunciation: (han'sum), [key]
—adj., -som•er, -som•est.
1. having an attractive, well-proportioned, and imposing appearance suggestive of health and strength; good-looking: a handsome man; a handsome woman.
2. having pleasing proportions, relationships, or arrangements, as of shapes, forms, or colors; attractive: a handsome house; a handsome interior.
3. exhibiting skill, taste, and refinement; well-made: a handsome story; handsome furniture.
4. considerable, ample, or liberal in amount: a handsome fortune.
5. gracious; generous; flattering: a handsome compliment; a handsome recommendation.
6. adroit and appealing; graceful: a handsome speech.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.