Pronunciation: (hang'ing), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/hanging.html on line 73 [key]
1. the act, an instance, or the form of capital punishment carried out by suspending one by the neck from a gallows, gibbet, or the like, until dead.
2. Often, hangings. something that hangs or is hung on the walls of a room, as a drapery or tapestry.
3. a suspending or temporary attaching, as of a painting: a careless hanging of pictures.
1. punishable by, deserving, or causing death by hanging: a hanging crime; a hanging offense.
2. inclined to inflict death by hanging: a hanging jury.
3. suspended; pendent; overhanging: a hanging cliff.
4. situated on a steep slope or at a height: a hanging garden.
5. directed downward: a hanging look.
6. made, holding, or suitable for a hanging object.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.