Pronunciation: (han'ō-vur), [key]
1. a member of the royal family that ruled Great Britain under that name from 1714 to 1901.
2. a former province in NW Germany; now a district in Lower Saxony. 14,944 sq. mi. (38,705 sq. km).
3. a city in and the capital of Lower Saxony, in N central Germany. 495,300.
4. a city in S Pennsylvania. 14,890.
5. a town in SE Massachusetts. 11,358.German, Han•no•ver Pronunciation: (hä-nō'vur) [key] (for defs. 2, 3).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.