Pronunciation: (hap'un), [key]
1. to take place; come to pass; occur: Something interesting is always happening in New York.
2. to come to pass by chance; occur without apparent reason or design: Don't ask me what caused it--it just happened, that's all.
3. to have the fortune or lot (to do or be as specified); chance: I happened to see him on the street.
4. to befall, as to a person or thing: Something dreadful has happened to me.
5. to meet or discover by chance (usually fol. by on or upon): to happen on a clue to a mystery.
6. to be, come, go, etc., casually or by chance: My friend happened along.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.