Pronunciation: (hev'un), [key]
1. the abode of God, the angels, and the spirits of the righteous after death; the place or state of existence of the blessed after the mortal life.
2. (cap.) Often, Heavens. the celestial powers; God.
3. a metonym for God (used in expressions of emphasis, surprise, etc.): For heaven's sake!
a. (used interjectionally to express emphasis, surprise, etc.): Heavens, what a cold room!
b. (used with a sing. v.) a wooden roof or canopy over the outer stage of an Elizabethan theater.
5. Usually, heavens. the sky, firmament, or expanse of space surrounding the earth.
6. a place or state of supreme happiness: She made his life a heaven on earth.
7. move heaven and earth, to do one's utmost to effect an end; make a supreme effort: She promised to move heaven and earth to be there for our wedding anniversary.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.