Pronunciation: (hīt), [key]
1. extent or distance upward: The balloon stopped rising at a height of 500 feet.
2. distance upward from a given level to a fixed point: the height from the ground to the first floor; the height of an animal at the shoulder.
3. the distance between the lowest and highest points of a person standing upright; stature: She is five feet in height.
4. considerable or great altitude or elevation: the height of the mountains.
5. Often, heights.
a. a high place above a level; a hill or mountain: They stood on the heights overlooking the valley.
b. the highest part; top; apex; summit: In his dreams he reached the heights.
6. the highest point; utmost degree: the height of power; the height of pleasure.
7. Archaic.high rank in social status. Also,hight.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.