Pronunciation: (hu-mol'u-gus, hō-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/homologous.html on line 77 [key]
1. having the same or a similar relation; corresponding, as in relative position or structure.
2. corresponding in structure and in origin, but not necessarily in function: The wing of a bird and the foreleg of a horse are homologous.
3. having the same alleles or genes in the same order of arrangement: homologous chromosomes.
4. Chem.of the same chemical type, but differing by a fixed increment of an atom or a constant group of atoms: Methyl and ethyl alcohols are homologous.
5. Immunol.pertaining to an antigen and its specific antibody.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.