Pronunciation: (hook'up"), [key]
1. an act or instance of hooking up.
2. an assembly and connection of parts, components, or apparatus into a circuit, network, machine, or system.
3. the circuit, network, machine, or system so formed.
4. a device or connection, as a plug, hose, or pipe, for conveying electricity, a water supply, etc., from a source to a user: Some campsites have electrical hookups for trailers.
5. Informal.an association, alliance, or cooperative effort: A closer hookup of Caribbean nations would be good for international trade.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.