Pronunciation: (hôrn), [key]
1. one of the bony, permanent, hollow paired growths, often curved and pointed, that project from the upper part of the head of certain ungulate mammals, as cattle, sheep, goats, or antelopes.
2. a similar growth, sometimes of hair, as the median horn or horns on the snout of the rhinoceros, or the tusk of the narwhal.
4. a process projecting from the head of an animal and suggestive of such a growth, as a feeler, tentacle, or crest.
5. the bony substance of which such animal growths are composed.
6. any similar substance, as that forming tortoise shell, hoofs, nails, or corns.
7. an article made of the material of an animal horn or like substance, as a thimble, spoon, or shoehorn.
8. any projection or extremity resembling the horn of an animal.
9. something resembling or suggesting an animal horn: a drinking horn.
10. a part resembling an animal horn attributed to deities, demons, etc.: the devil's horn.
11. Usually, horns. the imaginary projections on a cuckold's brow.
a. a wind instrument, originally formed from the hollow horn of an animal but now usually made of brass or other metal or plastic.
b. See French horn.
13. something used as or resembling such a wind instrument.
14. Slang.a trumpet.
15. an instrument for sounding a warning signal: an automobile horn.
16. Aeron.any of certain short, armlike levers on the control surfaces of an airplane.
a. a tube of varying cross section used in some loudspeakers to couple the diaphragm to the sound-transmitting space.
b. Slang.a loudspeaker.
18. Slang.a telephone or radiotelephone: I've been on the horn all morning.
19. the high protuberant part at the front and top of certain saddles; a pommel, esp. a high one.
20. Carpentry.(in a door or window frame) that part of a jamb extending above the head.
21. one of the curved extremities of a crescent, esp. of the crescent moon.
22. a crescent-shaped tract of land.
23. a pyramidal mountain peak, esp. one having concave faces carved by glaciation.
24. a symbol of power or strength, as in the Bible: a horn of salvation.
25. each of the alternatives of a dilemma.
26. the narrow, more pointed part of an anvil.
27. Metalworking.a projection at the side of the end of a rolled sheet or strip, caused by unevenness of the roll due to wear.
28. Horol.(in a lever escapement) either of the two prongs at the end of the lever fork guarding against overbanking when the guard pin is in the crescent.
29. blow ( or toot) one's own horn, Informal.to publicize or boast about one's abilities or achievements: He's a bright fellow, but likes to blow his own horn too much.
30. draw or pull in one's horns, to restrain oneself or become less belligerent; retreat: Since he lost so much gambling, he's drawn in his horns a bit.
31. lock horns, to conflict, quarrel, or disagree: The administration and the staff locked horns over the proposed measures.
32. on the horns of a dilemma, confronted with two equally disagreeable choices.
1. to cuckold.
2. to butt or gore with the horns.
3. Shipbuilding.to set up (a frame or bulkhead of a vessel being built) at a proper angle to the keel with due regard to the inclination of the keel on the ways; plumb.
4. horn in, Informal.to thrust oneself forward obtrusively; intrude or interrupt: Every time we try to have a private conversation, the boss horns in.
made of horn.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.