Pronunciation: (hot' shot' for 1; hot' shot" for 2), [key]
1. incandescent shot fired to set enemy ships or buildings on fire.
2. hotshot (defs. 4, 6).
Pronunciation: (hot'shot"), [key] Slang.
1. highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account exec.
2. displaying skill flamboyantly: a hotshot ballplayer.
3. moving, going, or operating without a stop; fast: a hotshot express.
1. an impressively successful or skillful and often vain person.
2. Railroads.an express freight train.
3. a firefighter. Also,hot shot (for defs. 4, 6).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.