Pronunciation: (hyOO-man"i-târ'ē-un or, often, yOO-), [key]
1. having concern for or helping to improve the welfare and happiness of people.
2. of or pertaining to ethical or theological humanitarianism.
3. pertaining to the saving of human lives or to the alleviation of suffering: a humanitarian crisis.
1. a person actively engaged in promoting human welfare and social reforms, as a philanthropist.
2. a person who professes ethical or theological humanitarianism.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.