Pronunciation: (hump), [key]
1. a rounded protuberance, esp. a fleshy protuberance on the back, as that due to abnormal curvature of the spine in humans, or that normally present in certain animals, as the camel or bison.
2. Physical Geog.
a. a low, rounded rise of ground; hummock.
b. a mountain or mountain range.
3. Railroads.(in a switchyard) a raised area down which cars pushed to its crest roll by gravity and momentum for automatic sorting through a series of preset switches.
4. Slang (vulgar).
a. an act or instance of coitus.
b. a partner in coitus.
5. the hump,
a. Brit. Slang.a fit of depression or bad humor: to get the hump.
b. (cap.) (in World War II) the Himalayas.
6. over the hump, past the most difficult, time-consuming, or dangerous part or period: The doctor says she's over the hump now and should improve steadily.
1. to raise (the back) in a hump; hunch: The cat humped its back.
2. Railroads.to sort (cars) by means of a hump.
3. Informal.to exert (oneself) in a great effort.
4. Slang (vulgar). to have sexual intercourse with.
a. to place or bear on the back or shoulder.
b. to carry or haul.
c. to load or unload; lift.
1. to rise in a hump.
2. Informal.to exert oneself; hustle or hurry.
3. Slang (vulgar). to engage in sexual intercourse.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.