Pronunciation: (hī'bri-dīz"), [key]
—v., -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to cause to produce hybrids; cross.
2. to breed or cause the production of (a hybrid).
3. to form in a hybrid manner.
1. to produce hybrids.
2. to cause the production of hybrids by crossing.
3. to form a double-stranded nucleic acid of two single strands of DNA or RNA, or one of each, by allowing the base pairs of the separate strands to form complementary bonds.
4. to fuse two cells of different genotypes into a hybrid cell. Also, esp. Brit.,hy'brid•ise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.