Pronunciation: (if), [key]
1. in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that: Sing if you want to. Stay indoors if it rains. I'll go if you do.
2. even though: an enthusiastic if small audience.
3. whether: He asked if I knew Spanish.
4. (used to introduce an exclamatory phrase): If only Dad could see me now!
5. when or whenever: If it was raining, we had to play inside.
1. a supposition; uncertain possibility: The future is full of ifs.
2. a condition, requirement, or stipulation: There are too many ifs in his agreement.
3. ifs, ands, or buts, reservations, restrictions, or excuses: I want that job finished today, and no ifs, ands, or buts.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.