Pronunciation: (in"kun-sis'tunt), [key]
1. lacking in harmony between the different parts or elements; self-contradictory: an inconsistent story.
2. lacking agreement, as one thing with another or two or more things in relation to each other; at variance: a summary that is inconsistent with the previously stated facts.
3. not consistent in principles, conduct, etc.: He's so inconsistent we never know if he'll be kind or cruel.
4. acting at variance with professed principles.
5. Logic.incompatible (def. 4b).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.