Pronunciation: (in-kum'bunt), [key]
1. holding an indicated position, role, office, etc., currently: the incumbent officers of the club.
2. obligatory (often fol. by on or upon): a duty incumbent upon me.
3. Archaic.resting, lying, leaning, or pressing on something: incumbent upon the cool grass.
1. the holder of an office: The incumbent was challenged by a fusion candidate.
2. Brit.a person who holds an ecclesiastical benefice.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.