Pronunciation: (in-kwīur'), [key]
—v., -quired, -quir•ing.
1. to seek information by questioning; ask: to inquire about a person.
2. to make investigation (usually fol. by into): to inquire into the incident.
1. to seek to learn by asking: to inquire a person's name.
2. Obs.to seek.
3. Obs.to question (a person).
4. inquire after, to ask about the state of health or condition of: Friends have been calling all morning to inquire after you. Also,enquire.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.